Thursday, November 10, 2005

this is funny...

What's in a name?

My mom has never liked parents who christen their children with names of Gods and Goddesses! If you were to ask me why I can rattle off an explanation which is not only weird but also very amusing…
My mom teaches in a school where she really hates it when she has to scold children… screaming at them saying " Narayan why are you such a pain?" or screaming, "Ram when will you learn to behave more decently?"…. Or perhaps, "Saraswati please come dressed properly…" They are some of the names she has never liked. For that matter it does sound very strange because it sounds like you are actually screaming at God and even though it is only a name my mom finds it very uncomfortable and keeps blaming their parents for putting her in such an awkward situation.
Then you have names of those people who are very much unlike what their names suggests them to be. Take for example Komal I mean how can you possibly call a loud mouthed and rough woman Komal? Why would anyone call a dusky female Ujjwala? Or for that matter why would any be named Neelkamal when he or she is not blue but wheatish? How can anyone call someone Prasad when he never wants to share!
Theres another incident that comes my mind every time I think of names. I had a friend by the name Sorry well you don’t have to be sorry because her parents aren't! But the best thing is that the teachers in my institute got very confused. I remember this friend of mine who once happened to ask her name and Sorry replied Sorry. "No, no what is your name?" "Sorry", this went on for about 5 minutes, both of them got very infuriated and it took some time for me to make her understand that she was christened Sorry.
Right from the Shakespearean times names have always been a tag attached to one's personality. They also in themselves are attributes and names always connoted the same. Agreed that virtues and vices could be the best description of a person's identity but that was then… when we did not have any underlying meaning for the same. But now I find it very funny when Sorry told me that her sister is called 'Believe me'… I mean 'Believe me' that’s her name! And that’s not all, there's another sister… and her name is, hold your breath… 'Hate me'! And this is the absolute truth, believe me!
Well this is just a few of the weirdest names I have ever heard. But imagine a name like Patience or Gratitude… makes no sense right? Well two of my friends in Namibia are named Love and Peace. Don't ask me why… I have no idea. For me these names are plain weird. My friend Believe me once told me how she felt very weird the first time she was dumped because she had no idea why her boy friend kept making so many attempts to convince her that he was not interested in her anymore. I believe he kept saying Believe me, believe me I think we should not see each other any more. She naturally had no idea why he kept addressing her twice!
So that’s what names can do. I guess parents ought to be a little more thoughtful. Because believe me, Love is actually patience and I know you will never be Sorry about it!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew a guy long ago who was named Pinal (nothing wrong with that till you pronounce it). He later changed his name to Parth.

There is a blogger named River but I somehow like that name.

A friend's sister is named Salomi. Salmoni means 'Woman of Peace' in Hebrew. I like the name 'Salomi' too.

Camphor said...

There is this thing about inter-language translations too... what is quite a decent name in one language becomes soemthing totally different.

I did have a freind called Chumma after all. She got ragged in both Tamil and in Hindi. :D

Artful Badger said...

You should be happy that she was named sorry and not sori.

navin said...

thats one reason I BELIEVE we should have nicknames..like sudermani or china..or archie itself...imagine yourself in a temple and you want to do an archana...priest asks your name...you say archana...he will say I know you want to do an archana..but tell me your name :)...SORRY if I made fun of your name...PEACE..:)

Anonymous said...

"sorry", "believe me", "hate me" ????

are u "kidding me" ???

Madhu said...

Well, I know of a Maths Prof who named his child as 'Straight Line'.If I had been the kid, I'd have prob killed him or smth... And there's a friend's friend whose brother is named 'Marine Drive'. Apparently, the father fell in love with the marine drive at Bombay..

Sad, but if they like those names so much, they can probably rename themselves, na? Why the poor, unsuspecting, little kids? There must be a law for such kids to sue their parents!! :)

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

archana, i believed that sorry, believeme names were just a funny story that u created.. :) cool names...

archies world said...

hey all...

well no i have not created any names they were real..this girl sorry studied with me in Jyoti Nivas College Bangalore...and she was from namibia...
well am not going to justify any further...
upto u to believe...

Anonymous said...

Hey archie

Good one, dont know if this will help but the waiter at my table at the restaurant was named 'Focus'. atleast his name tag said so. But I must say he was not at all focussing! Guess his focus was at the other table, which I too tried to focus on, but this dude did not let me to!
All well I hope

Incognito said...

hey arch, anu here(remember(!)). how are you. long time,no see. me also started bloggin. absolutely loved ur next-life-becoming-bear post. would like to follow suite!

Incognito said...

clue : art department ! :)

Niranjan said...

If U R true Archana, I am Ur Niranjan, pl come & meet me, I am fond of U

Anonymous said...

Who is true Archana that we have to confirm from Railway Administration and from CBI department of India.