Tuesday, October 18, 2005

this is close to me

X’TRA MARITAL AFFAIRS!!!!!!!!!!!

My best friend was a married man. We were still best of friends. I could talk to him about anything from books and art to Newton and philosophy. Our topics of discussion were never limited. It had a ‘flightless boundary’ and I was proud of it. Mr. Saranik was all I could ask for in a friend. Perfect I would call him. I met him when I first came to my newly built house. Among the other strange faces that looked on my family and me those warm caring eyes stood out certainly… distinct.
I first spoke to him when we were on the first floor. If you ask him he would probably give you all the dates and timings without any doubt. “All that you say is beautiful, you are my source of my inspiration also….” he used to say. From telling him that I saw a butterfly flying to hey have you read this book? Everything was beautiful or so he said and so I thought. I was always elated at all the generous outpouring compliments he showered on me almost everyday. I was myself with him; there was no need of any masks or portrayal, probably the prime reason why I came so close to him. My family however knew I needed one friend and they were happy it was him. He was considered to be this icon of knowledge, ideas. I always looked on him with awe.... The way he mingled with others and what he spoke and why he said some stuff to me and not to others... well that was him. I remember all the song dedications and the books he recommended he was such a source of knowledge. I never even needed to ask for anything it was said even before I said anything; He helped out with grammar and maths. I was really proud that I had the best of friends. Things ran smoothly for some time………
Well it started when one day I heard someone commenting on the way I talk to him. At first I ignored thinking what the heck it’s my life and I know what I’m doing. Whispers soon began to become sentences and little did I know that I was the topic of every discussion in the flat. Mr. Saranik said he couldn’t be bothered and hence I kept quiet for a while. By this time our friendship had become very strong and I really depended on him emotionally. Aindrilla, his wife was very sweet and understanding we were like one family. He came to our house and no one thought anything. But these conversations never had any effect on our families but not for long!!!!!!!!
I still remember the walk I took with him when we had our three-day long power cut. The amount and the truth I learnt during those 30 minutes are probably what I still think of life. There is no one hand clapping that was also one very important thing I learnt that day. “Archana, you will face a lot of hurdles because of the naïve person that you are. I seriously think you should be a little more assertive and also FIRM what ever you do.” Then one day his wife screamed at him and accused him of going beyond the lines of marriage, she was very upset and she wouldn’t even talk to me. I became a victim of something I was never a part of consciously (I swear)



“Extra marital affair” it was termed as. I hated that word and still do. I thought extra marital affairs were only on a physical level but maybe I was wrong. Looking back on what went on in her life, how insecure she was, another woman coming into his life, just as a friend, was enough for our relationship o be termed as that phrase I despise and loathe now. As in maybe, I was absolutely wrong…. Well he came up to me one day and told me how much he loved me, and what I meant to him and professed his undying love for me. He also said that he would go to any extent to preserve this relationship he shared with me.
Well I was shocked I cannot express myself very clearly because even today when I think of those moments I feel very insecure and I feel like I was taken for a ride in the name of friendship. At first I blanked out, I could see my worst nightmare coming true in front of my eyes. What the hell I thought, what relationship was he talking about what did undying love mean to him? Were they not the same things he had said he had told his wife? I soon came back to my senses and took the strongest and most difficult decision of my life. I terminated ‘our’ friendship (It’s a different matter that only I had termed our relationship that). He was not worth it I consoled myself. It really took me a long time to get over him and the friendship I was forced to abandon because of a greater cause. But now I’m proud of myself thinking of what could have happened if I had held back that day and if I had still kept in touch with him…. I still keep in touch but on a very formal basis. Maybe people will not understand why. Its because he accepted it was a mistake, a grave one too. And as usual I forgave him. And that’s the end of that chapter. I still think I’m the cause of a major diversion and also misunderstanding in their family.
Probably that’s the reason why I can never talk freely to guys when all my friends do. Why I still feel that a guy and a girl can never be just friends… I hate to talk to guys who have girl friends, people never understand what I’m going through they feel I’m a prude and a hypocrite but one day they will…. Or maybe one day I’ll stop generalising and start feeling once again and stop holding myself responsible for everything but I know that it will take time. I just hope it stops taking its toll on me.
Extramarital relationships are a very common phenomenon today. Three-fourths of the world today has families ruined because of the turmoil in them due to the existence of a third person. Why should people not be content with their married lives? When will people be satisfied and stop looking for others to keep them happy? Why can’t people compromise and isn’t marriage all about giving and taking? Well all these rhetorical questions can be pondered and answered by us. That’s why counsellors are making so much of money, as this is also the reason for the increasing hypertension world-wide. Couples should be more understanding and there should be no room or space left for any third person.




Some blame it on work the others say they were forced into marriages and more often the answer is” my marriage is boring and there is no spice left in it” I ask who is responsible for all this? Why can’t they themselves resolve it since they are the ones who started it in the first place? For me marriage is for keeps. I cannot imagine my married life getting ruined. A husband and wife have to work as a pair like a close unit to keep it going. They have to season it with all the spices and also add water or sweet to reduce the spice. The fire has to be simmering if the need arises and the flame has to be on continuously for the dish or marriage to be cooked well… to be relished while eating it. Some like it bland and some like it garnished. Well the choice is personal but how well they juggle between the ingredients is what makes the whole situation and the dish so very special. How can they let something bitter fall into the dish they are so skilfully labouring at and even if it falls despite all the precautions I think it depends on one’s own understanding, emotional balance presence of mind and taste how he or she would handle the situation. The end result has to be good. This should be the chief aim. And I’m sure each of us is an expert in cooking or managing things ourselves.
Well this experience has certainly helped me grow. I can now handle difficult experiences without many hassles. I can look at things more objectively and I have also learnt not to blame myself unnecessarily without analysing things well.

12 comments:

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

hmmm... good to know you had taken a bold stance and stood by it...

but yeah cud empathise with u on how u wud have felt about the impact u have made on that guy's family without u consciously doing anything....

and also, it is a sickening truth that friendship btw girls and guys dont exist beyond a certain line... and it is more sickening in ur case, that the guy actually had different opinions on u....

anyway archana..hope this blog wud have lessened ur burden a bit... all i can say is be strong, be stronger :) Take care

navin said...

I don't agree to the point that true friendship cannot exist between men and women. It is achievable, it just takes the mind to realise that we are not just men and women, we are friends. I have incidents from my life that would prove me wrong, but it cannot shatter the belief what I already have. One bad incident in my life is not good enough for me to conclude that the other good incidents carry no value. One Person whom I respected as a friend turns out the otherway, will affect my judgement for a short span of time, but generalizing it on everyone just leads to a change of my opinion, a biased judgement. You are not supposed to blame it on yourself if it was no mistake of yours. All this crap like clapping doesn't happen without 2 hands stuff is useless...but finally its a sensitive issue for the final victim..the wife of the other person...When it's his mistake what is the reason for you to look on aspects that you believe as false. Compromise when split leads to Com - Promise..we have already promised something when we get married what is the reason to treat it otherwise? There is a honeymoon period and there is a difference of opinion period and there is a getting to understand and love the person for what they are and remain loyal period. In the long run we have to treat our spouse as the only best friend that we have, if this is achieved then nothing can affect a marriage.

archies world said...

hey navin aqnd subramanian...

thanks for understanding what i wrote...
its true...but now i feel better..
thanks for all the support...

Anonymous said...

well written !!!
nice
keep it up

Suderman said...

arch,
i really love the way you pour ur soul out! very well written!
and im glad u're keeping at it.
this blog rocks!
cheers!
:)

archies world said...

hey sudu

thanks for reading all my stuff...and the appreciation that follows...
its been really nice knowing this consideringn ur my inspiration...

hey rags...
thanks...for reading and commenting but maybe if u post ur blog id i can read urs too

Camphor said...

Again I dare to venture an opinion where my words will be inadequate. I too have had friendships where the guy has 'fallen for me'.

I sigh and wait for it to pass. I am lucky in that the age group I hang out with, there are no marraiges that can hurt... and as for the ones with girlfriends, relationships really need to have trust. Without trust there can be nothing.

What is love? What is freindship? What is the difference? Perhaps it is that my definition of freindship comes so close to another's definition of love... I do not think you need feel guilty about his inability to decide what is right and what is not.

Yes, it hurt his wife, and I'm sorry about that, but really, you shouldn't feel quite so bad about it.... it was not a conscious effort to drive them apart, was it? She needed to learn strenght, and he needed to realise that there is a line one cannot afford to cross in freindship, or one will lose what is most precious ot them...You see, everything has a price. When you commit, you do not promise to make the partner the centre of your universe, you only promise to cherish them. I do not understand the need to ... restrain oneself from what one did before just becuase there is now the Other in our lives... in fact, is it worth is to not be you in order to have that relationship? Like what you said in that other post about marriage - if 'I' am the type that I talk freely and easily to guys, then that should not stop after I aquire a BF.

I don't know if I made sense to you. You wrote from your heart, I replied from mine, and as soon as I get back, I'll read the rest of the posts...

archies world said...

hey camphor..

i liked ur post....thanks for chipping in..i really liked all the effort u have taken...
anwayys i went thru ur blog..u really write well but i feel u also supress urself a lot in reacting openly maybe u should...

Apoorv Gawde said...

Well, nicely written, I also feel that it is difficult to define where friendship ends and where Love begins. though I feel the term Love is a dubious one. My best friend is a girl. and that is what she is and has been from the past 5 years. The best friend. So I would not say impossible, but I would say difficult.
The secret is there always needs to be a limit. I can hug her, but will not do it a lot. Both parties need to understand that it is a friendship and nothing more.
And it helps that both of us are in serious relationships :)
You write nicely.

Madhu said...

'True' friendship between guys and girls is possible... when both parties stop looking at the other person's gender. Platonic and pure friendships do exist, Archana. Don't lose hope.

Niranjan said...

If U R true Archana, I am Ur Niranjan, pl come & meetme, I am fond of U

Anonymous said...

Who is true Archana that we have to confirm from Railway Administration and from CBI department of India.